Love
I think there is no more mysterious, exciting, sentimental, and fascinating phenomenon than love. Everybody has experienced love but everyone’s definition of love is different. There is plethora of definitions about love:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” ― William Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well.
Love is a divine feeling.
Love is blind
Love is Attraction
Love is obsession.
Love is attachment
Love is commitment
Love is intimacy
Love is just lust
Love is patience
Love is sacrifice
Love is all pervading
Love is a sacred relationship
Love is emotional and physical needs
'Love is chemistry'
Love is a platonic phenomenon
Indeed there is no end to the definitions; it just varies from person to person depending upon how love manifests to each one.
“Love is an intense feeling for someone without whom you can’t live and for whom you are prepared to do anything.” This was my notion, when at sixteen I fell headlong in love with a girl.
Then in 1956, I saw William Holden and Jennifer Jones’s film “Love is a many splendored thing.” I was simply obsessed by this touching and moving film and could not get off it for a week. I thought, “Love is mirage”. You see the truth yet you believe it is illusion. You see the disaster yet you feel it is splendid.
I think our idea of love keeps on changing as per our experience, time and place. Even our own definition about love changes over the time. What I thought of love at sixteen seems to me infatuation
In summer 2007, I went to visit some beautiful cities in India with my daughter and grand kids. One evening as we returned home after sightseeing and relishing dinner in a famous restaurant, my grandson, Raul, my heart throb, began to complain of tummy ache. By midnight he started purging, turned weak and pale. He also got fever as high as 104 F. We gave him some medicine and kept ice cold pads throughout the night but it didn’t work. We contacted the doctor; she suspected food poisoning and advised us to admit him in the hospital. Early morning, his health took a serious turn; he became delirious, began to smile, muter something weird and his eye balls were fixed on one side. This was an appalling scene. I screamed out, “Oh God, you can take my life but please make him well.” He was rushed to the hospital, admitted in ICU and the doctors said, “His condition is critical but hope he will respond to the treatment.” He did.
In summer 2007, I went to visit some beautiful cities in India with my daughter and grand kids. One evening as we returned home after sightseeing and relishing dinner in a famous restaurant, my grandson, Raul, my heart throb, began to complain of tummy ache. By midnight he started purging, turned weak and pale. He also got fever as high as 104 F. We gave him some medicine and kept ice cold pads throughout the night but it didn’t work. We contacted the doctor; she suspected food poisoning and advised us to admit him in the hospital. Early morning, his health took a serious turn; he became delirious, began to smile, muter something weird and his eye balls were fixed on one side. This was an appalling scene. I screamed out, “Oh God, you can take my life but please make him well.” He was rushed to the hospital, admitted in ICU and the doctors said, “His condition is critical but hope he will respond to the treatment.” He did.
When such a thing happens; pain of someone reflexes your heart, it is love. My definition became, “Love is when your beloved’s exhilaration is more important than your own.”
Love manifests in a many different ways.
Once, my granddaughter, Riya, not even one year went for the routine check up and her primary doctor suspected her right leg knee cloaking. She advised us to see the expert for detail check up. Unfortunately it came to light that she had a problem in the knee joint. As per the expert she needed to go through a major surgery to reset the joints. Even after that it was not certain that she would have normal movement of the leg. On hearing this her father, who is quite brave and controlled minded person, lost his consciousness and fell down hurting his chin. This is another example of the manifestation of love. My definition here changed to “Love is
such a deep attachment that if your loved one is at threat, it transforms your physic and chemistry.”
As per our text book, “MARRIAGES, FAMILIES, & INTIMATE RELATIONSHIPS” by Brian, Stacy & Carl:
“Love is intimacy with caring for and commitment to another person.”
“Love is intimacy with caring for and commitment to another person.”
Sounds pretty much appropriate but I still have number of questions like :
Does it apply to humans only?
Where does it stem from?
If there is this blissful feeling of love in every living being, where does hatred come from?
If love is one splendid thing why it is subjective?
The wheel theory suggests that love develops through four stages:
Rapport
Self revelation
Mutual dependency and
Intimacy
6. Then what about the mother and the child love that begins right from the birth of a child!
7. Biologically, love is a powerful neurological condition like hunger or thirst.
8. Again if it is a set of chemicals: pheromones, dopamine, nor epinephrine, serotonin, oxytocin and
7. Biologically, love is a powerful neurological condition like hunger or thirst.
8. Again if it is a set of chemicals: pheromones, dopamine, nor epinephrine, serotonin, oxytocin and
vasopressin; can we make love in a test tube?
I think, I need to reflect more and find answers to questions above and beyond!
I think, I need to reflect more and find answers to questions above and beyond!
No comments:
Post a Comment