Nandkumar.Bijlani
A.S.P.I.R.E. PROGRAM SCHOLARSHIP
"How has the ASPIRE program contributed to your educational goal?"
As I sit back and introspect I wonder what would have been my fate without ASPIRE! Probably I would have ended up washing dishes, vacuuming and doing some chores at home, cut off from the world.
Three years back when I came from India to live with my daughter in Evergreen Valley , San Jose, my state was no better than a dumb and deaf. I knew English but the American English was way different! People spoke so fast in a different accent, different pronunciation and that everything would go over my head! Often I landed in a funny and ridiculous situation. I wondered what was in a” Cup of Sex" when people said "I'll be back in a couple of seconds". If I asked for "Material for American English basics" I was directed to the "Basics Department.” in a Macy's store. Such incidents would recur off and on. I was fed up, nervous, and paranoid.
One fine day I learned that at a walking distance from my house there was Evergreen Valley College, which conducted a special program called ASPIRE. (Asian/Pacific Islander Resources for Excellence). I registered for it. Aah! It was like finding a new world. "ASPIRE" was the answer to all my baffling Q's. I was amazed to realize that ASPIRE had diligently scrutinized the issues concerning Asian/Pacific Islanders and designed an exclusive program to meet the challenges of persons like me.
ASPIRE doesn't just offer courses in teaching English as a second language. IT DOES A LOT . It will not be out of line to say that it almost adopts you as a baby and nurtures you till you become worth something and stand on your legs.
When you land as a stranger in a foreign country, you are bewildered and skeptical whether you will be accepted. The first comfortable feeling that I had after enrolling with ASPIRE was that I was most welcomed and considered just one of them, irrespective of my age, gender, ethnic or cultural background.
They started from the very grass root level (( From ABCDEFG......Now I know my ABC. Next time will you sing with me?) to the final goal.
Initially my aptitude was assessed, propensity judged, and educational goal planned . Firstly the foundation was prepared by teaching English communication skills and developing basic computer skills. Side by side, I was guided to take some career classes in Business Information Systems. I am not yet through. But now I feel confident. I think I can stand on my own feet.
"ASPIRE", like the parents, keeps a close eye on your progress. If you can't cope up or if you lag in your studies, they provide you special tutoring. Candidly I don't think, even parents can afford to provide so much time, attention, and expenditure.
ASPIRE literally mentors you. I am sure the management carefully selects
a culturally diverse team of professional counselors and mentors with specialized training in working with diverse people, discreet, friendly, compassionate, and knowing human psychology well.
Thanks and God Bless ASPIRE. & Evergreen Valley College.
No comments:
Post a Comment