Wednesday, January 17, 2024

 Nandkumar.Bijlani                                                                                                                                       

ASSOCIATED STUDENTS OF EVC SCHOLARSHIP

"How I Overcame My Language Barrier" 

 

Three years ago I was really nuts! I wondered what  was “IN A CUP OF SEX” or didn't even know the meaning of "BASICS."

Three years ago I came from India to live with my daughter in Evergreen Valley , San Jose . It was like Alice in the Wonderland; fabulous weather, posh buildings, clean roads, beautiful landscapes, warm, jubilant faces; everything looked so spectacular as if I was living the most wonderful dream of my life! But pretty soon I realized, there was a problem too! 

 

  The American English was way different from the English I knew. They spoke so fast in different accents, different pronunciations, and different intonation that it sounded an altogether different language! I couldn't make heads and tails of what people said! Neither could they follow me!

People said something and I guessed something else. I would say one but it would send some different messages. It created a misunderstanding and embarrassment. Sometimes I would end up in a very ridiculous situation. So my state was as if I was  a deaf and dumb!  Language and  hence Communication was my barrier. It felt miserable! I was totally frustrated and in a quandary as to how to overcome this barrier? 

 

   Depressed and paranoid, one day I walked out for a hike on the hill nearby and saw a huge campus on the other side. I walked down curiously, where I met a person from my country. I told him my pathetic story. But he laughed and said, "You don't have to despair, you will find so many people over here sailing in the same boat. There are special ESL classes to teach English in Evergreen Valley College ". I explored and found there were so many classes such as reading, writing, pronunciation, listening and speaking, and group discussion programs, exclusively for non-native English speakers like me.

 

 I registered for these classes. In the beginning I was skeptical whether I would be able to keep up with new American teachers! What will they start with? But before long, I experienced, the teachers were so nice and friendly that learning was a piece of cake. The course material itself was very interesting and they made it all the more charming. It started with ABCDEFG........Now I know my ABC. Next time will you sing with me? And it went on and on. There was all sided development; teaching vocabulary, grammar, comprehension, group discussions and presentations in a very organized and interesting manner. They taught not only language but even the customs, traditions, etiquettes, and the very psyche of American life. 

Now I'm a lot better. Now I know when someone says "I~be ba~ in a cup~ of sex~" means she will be back in a couple of seconds. Now I can figure out why was I directed to Basics Department when I had asked for English basics. I must also mention that the teaching staff is so competent, discreet, considerate and friendly that you feel comfortable and one among them. Thanks to ESL and thanks to Evergreen Valley College . 


No comments:

Post a Comment